✿ Line Transfer Tutorial ✿
Occasionally I get asked how I go about transferring my sketches onto illustration board. This small tutorial will explain the process.
- Illustration Board (or what you’ll be transferring your sketch onto.)
- A printed copy of your sketch
- Transfer Paper - I use Woodcraft Pattern Transfer Paper
- Red Pen
Why Woodcraft Transfer Paper?
My father, who is a skilled woodworker, first introduced me to this transfer paper years ago and after trying other artist transfer papers since then, I still use this brand. The lines do not smudge or smear even when wet media is applied. They are dark enough to see while painting, and light enough to cover up if needed. The backing of the transfer paper also does not rub off onto the surface below unless pressure from a pen is applied.
- First, I cut and prep my illustration board. I have to tape off and tea stain it before I can transfer anything. Then, I make a printed copy of my sketch. Once that is taken care of, I gather the rest of my supplies.
- I tape my sketch to the transfer paper. These transfer sheets can be reused up to 2 - 4 times, depending on how detailed your sketches are.
- I line up my sketch and transfer paper on top of my illustration board and tape it down. This is to prevent it from moving.
- Using a red pen (I prefer a fine pointed gel pen), I trace over my printed sketch. This requires some pressure to make sure the line art transfers to the board. Tracing over lines using a colored pen also helps me see what is already done.
- I do a quick check to make sure everything is traced.
- Once that is done, I pull off the printed sketch and transfer, and can begin painting!
- I keep my transfer paper afterwards in case I need to use it again. I also store away my printed sketches used for the transfers. (I like to keep all preparatory work done for my paintings.)
If anyone has questions, feel free to send a message!
For more art, works in progress, tutorials, and guides, please visit my page.
275 Notes/ Hide
- wintersanarchy likes this
- tutorial4frands reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- ask-dr-sezaki likes this
- lokifangirl13 reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- lokifangirl13 likes this
- stxrmfall likes this
- ryoga523 likes this
- ryoga523 reblogged this from neonpossumart
- inyoueverythingsank likes this
- lazerhawke likes this
- labbydoodle likes this
- anita19aon reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- rnothingr likes this
- little-orange-teapot likes this
- atalie-hime likes this
- aplaceforthingandatimeforthat reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- yourundead likes this
- obviously-lung likes this
- plapsy likes this
- full-time-homo reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- artsy-frankis likes this
- fromosapien likes this
- mightypigboy likes this
- eloquenceandprostitution likes this
- eloquenceandprostitution reblogged this from clieto-darkhart
- clieto-darkhart reblogged this from forever-constant
- clieto-darkhart likes this
- forever-constant reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- hibari-dino likes this
- sterling-grimm likes this
- stoopidtitans reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- cloaked-in-red reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- stoopidtitans likes this
- flimsysmutdragon likes this
- kia-jarmon likes this
- serasukino reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- anch-u reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- thebestpartofbelieveistheliepost likes this
- flowersaremybestfriends likes this
- lcrw likes this
- raposadanoite likes this
- queharahara likes this
- omegalikesthis reblogged this from heatheruru
- lazylogic likes this
- a-n-t-a likes this
- the-blue-pianist2 likes this
- antares16 reblogged this from teafoxillustrations
- antares16 likes this
- msdoubt reblogged this from teafoxillustrations